Houston was never a big drive in movie city – until recently. With people hesitant to see movies indoors, theater owners and entrepeneurs had to get creative. Now there are tons of great drive in movie theaters in Houston!
Here are some of the best drive in movie theaters in Houston.
The original drive in movie theater in Houston (ok fine, just outside Houston), Showboat Drive-In is the only drive in movie theater on this list that has been around for years. They show movies Friday nights through Sunday nights with a great mix of movies for kids and adults.
Some things to know about Showboat Drive-In
- Engines must be off during the movie. You may want to bring a battery-powered radio for the audio if you’re concerned about your car battery dying. They will provide a boost if you need it.
- Pets are allowed as long as they remain inside the vehicle
- Concession items include chips, candy, ice cream bars and soda.
Tickets are $12 for the first person, and $10 for each additional rider. You can purchase your Showboat Drive-In movie tickets here.
Address: 22422 Farm to Market 2920, Hockley, TX 77447
Moonstruck Drive-In touts itself as the only permanent drive-in movie theater in Houston proper. They show movies Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Their movies are a diverse collection including movies for both kids and adults.
Some things to know about Moonstruck Drive-In
- You can leave your car running during the movie.
- Outside food is prohibited. They sell standard cinema fare, as well as beer and wine, all available at the concession stand. Food trucks are on-site on Saturday nights.
- Pets are welcome.
- This is the only drive-in on the list that allows you to sit on lawn chairs right outside your car.
Tickets are $30 per vehicle. You can purchase your drive-in movie tickets here.
Address: 100 Bringhurst Street Houston, 77020
Movie Night Houston
Movie Night Houston is a new drive-in experience in Houston with over-sized digital projector screens for the clearest drive-in experience. They show a mix of movies for kids and adults on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Some things to know about Movie Night Houston
- If you’d like to bring your own food, you must make that selection when you purchase your tickets, with a $15 surcharge
- Pets are welcome
- You can run your engine throughout the movie
- You are welcome to sit inside or outside your vehicle
Tickets range from $22-$30 per car and can be purchased here.
One of the first new drive-in movie theaters to open in Houston, The Drive-In off Navigation is a production of Rooftop Cinema Club. They show tons of great movies for kids and adults alike, and the best part is, they show movies every night! Their movies are a handpicked curation of cults, classics, and new releases.
- You’re welcome to bring your own food, or order concessions through their contactless system. Food options include classic movie theater snacks as well as food from local food trucks.
- Pets are welcome as long as they remain inside the vehicle.
- You can run your engine throughout the movie, as long as your headlights are off.
Tickets range from $22 per car for a side view to $36 for central view. They also sometimes have $20 tickets for cars with just two people. Buy tickets here.
Address: 2301 Summer St, Houston, TX 77007
The Best Little Drive-In In HTX
The Best Little Drive-In In HTX is a cute little drive in movie theater in the Heights. Movie options are mainly geared towards adults but they do have a few kid options thrown in. Movies are shown on Friday and Saturday nights.
Some things to know about The Best Little Drive-In In HTX
- Outside food is prohibited. You can order food, popcorn, candy, and alcoholic beverages – or food from various food trucks – all via an app and it will be brought to your car.
- You can leave your engine on during the movie.
Tickets are $30 per vehicle. You can purchase your drive in movie tickets here.
Address: RAVEN TOWER: 310 North St, Houston, TX 77009
Have you been to any of these drive in movie theaters in Houston? Which is your favorite?
Looking for more fun things to do in Houston? Check out our Complete Guide To Things To Do in Houston